Saturday, August 22, 2009

Reflecting synopsis

I believe that active learning is that is to say the engagement learning. The world is rapidly changing, which affects education world as well that is caused by the technological life style. Educators need to know what 21century students interest and need in their life to understand them in order to provide them instructions that is fair to diversity of students (Central Queensland University, 2009). There are some beneficial ideas to manage students misbehaviour in a classroom.To change their attitude, and to engage them, all students realize the learning is enjoyable and valuable to their life. When educators are required to consider their personality, surrounding, life style, and learning style to occur effective learning and achieve their goal.

The CQUniversity promotes the action to `Be what you want to be` as a commercial phrase on a advertisement (Central Queensland University, 2009). I think it is in another word, 'Be active learner!'.


Finally, I have achieved this stage! Honestly, I did not think that I manage the work of this course because I am a digital immigrant, not a digital native (Prensky, 2005).

For me, and probably many students in this course felt challenging to deal with most of technology tasks. Also there are a number of reading at each topics. I was frightened and panic while the assessment 1's due date was coming up, but as Scot suggested us on a courseware, I refereed back to learning theories when I tried each of activities. So that, now I know better about the technology things and have obtained knowledge how they related to learning.

If I did not take this course, I would not try valuable technologies such as Mahara, Wiki's, Blogs, WebQuests and other creative and fun software. Maybe because I had a prejudice that it is not for me, but once I tried, I was fascinated and became an active learner. Thus, for 21st century learner, maintaining those creative and collaborative tool is their nature.

I have been experiencing online learning as a Learning Manager to critically analyse tasks and share our idea with peers. So, I have found this courseware is well designed. Because it is exactly based on the Information Communication Technologies (ICTs) (Oliver, 1999). The task is related the real world, researching resources, and the knowledge that we obtained support our learning for us. The concept of ICTs is based on the learning eangagement theory. The principal petagogy is first, Donate to the real wold and problem, then Creat solution to the problem, and Donate a useful contribution. The learning engagement theory links Problem based learning (Kearsly, & Shniderman, 1999). We wish the 21st learner to engage in their learning.

Most of us are in Bachelor of Learning Management. The learning theories; Behaviourism, Cognitivism, Constructivism and Connectivism. The theory Connectivism tells us learning is not only internal, which is developed externally and activity (Siemens, 2005). The background information is everything related to education. It was hard work, but I enjoyed reading those articles.

Also, there are organized communication tools and communities on a courseware. Each topic has a forum, so we can share our idea, encouraging our journey, help other students who are on a problem. We sit on a computer individually, but we are not alone. Whenever and wherever, we can learn on the Internet, and it is expected.

I think I am an originally reflective and visual learner. I like to use Voki avatars, Youtube, Fickr, and Power Point slide. I will definitely use them in my teaching. As a reflective learner, I am sure that I will be a life long learner. Queensland Schools Authority (2002) defined the life long learner as follows;


  • a complex thinker


  • a creative person


  • an active investigator


  • an effective communicator

Those are four of the seven definitions. Looking at those, I would say that the life long learner is so close to 21st century children's characteristic. Therefore, I prospect that 21st century children will be a life long learner.


Overall, we all have different learning style and learning experiences, also background and surrounding. Therefore, as society requires and utilize our techonology and engage our learning. I would to like to try more new computer technologies and maintain them for myself and my students.


Thank you for reading

Kind Regards,

Shiho

References

Kearsley, G. & Shniderman, B. (1999). Engagement theory: a frame work for technology-based teaching and learning. Retrieved August 1, 2009, from http://home.sprynet.com/~gkearsley/engage.htm

Oliver, R. (1999). Learning design. Retrieved August 22, 2009, from http://www.learningdesigns.uow.edu.au/project/learn_design.htm

Central Queensland University. (2009). Active learning. Retrieved July 13, 2009, from http://moodle.cqu.edu.au/mod/resource/view.php?id=580

Central Queensland University. (2009). Elearning design. Retrieved July 13, 2009, from http://moodle.cqu.edu.au/mod/resource/view.php?id=641

Siemens, G. (2005). A learning theory for the digital age. Retrieved August , 2009, from http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/connectivism.htm




No comments:

Post a Comment